Meriva B Power Steering Pump

My 2014 Meriva 1.4 has developed  a Code 68, It is with a garage (not main dealer) and they have been trying for a couple of weeks to get a replacement PS pump. Dealer wants 800 plus and vat without fitting, money upfront but will take at least 2-3 wks before part arrives. Seen several on auction sites for anywhere between 200-700 refurb, however although the part should fit, I'm told that it also has to adhere to a magic M number. This was upheld by a seller when I  tried to buy the part. Is there anything else I can try ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My Meriva has been in the garage for 3 months now, the magic M number on the psp seems to be only available to the Vauxhall parts people. I duly stumped up £1040 pounds and still no sign of the part almost 3 months. Vauxhall are very apologetic but no help citing "supply issues" I've looked at some used pumps on ebay and some do have an M number (not mine though) I contacted a parts supply company and was told that the part he gained from my reg was in stock but not an M number. I've ordered it but does anyone know if it is likely to fit ??? any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks for replying I've got a part from a distributor who says the M number isn't as important as the reg of the car. I ordered the part and I've compared the new and old side by side and they look EXACTLY the same. I've taken it to the garage where my car is and they'll let me know if it's suitable on monday (mech away till then) so we'll see. fingers crossed

• 3 weeks later...

Part obtained from Neo Brothers £663.90 Inc VAT. New part. Garage finally fitted it but said it should have been programmed??? Was advised to call supplier. Did so and was told that as part is new garage should have programmed it. Forums saying that only Vauxhall dealers and 'approved' Vauxhall garages can do this. Local approved Vaux garage advised that would be easier for dealer to perform. I know the dealer will charge minimum of £100 just to put the car on the tester, doesn't bear thinking about how much they will charge to re code.

Really disappointed with exorbitant costs and attitude of dealers.