Odometer problems

Wonder if anyone can help me, I bought a 2015 Vauxhall Meriva in June last year the odometer on the car was 52000 miles, I MOT'd it in June this yr when I noticed they had written on it the MOT the car done 40000 mile in the yr which is impossible for me as I only drive around a 20 mile radius of my house, and I don't drive every day, I checked back on other cars I own in the past a 07 plate Fiat Sedici in the 3 years I had it I did between 4000 & 5000 a yr, and a 02 plate Vauxhall Astra I only did 4300 that yr. Can anyone tell me what I can do about it as it is devaluing the car quickly.

Agree with FRONTERATECH as MOT testers tend to jot down information to then come back to the office and complete the online VOSA software and information can be incorrectly assigned to the wrong vehicle.
Happened to me when I bought my Harley and it had less miles than advertised and they worked out another bike had been MOT'd the same time and carried that miles and assigned to mine.

• Thanks 1

I checked MOT records, there is mileage issues in 2019 &2021 It looks like something was wrong from the day I bought it, I think the odometer is faulty in some way, it's recording the miles higher than I actually do, on Sunday the 21st July at the start of day my odometer counter was reading 841.4 at end of day was reading 942.3, according to Google maps the total distance I travelled that day was a total of 50 miles. I am worried about this issue as my car is insured for up to 10.000 miles per year, that's more than I actually do

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, FRONTERATECH said:

suggest it might be fault could have been clocked or mileage adjusted at some time. worth getting help from vauxhall dealer

Definitely not adjusted, I put the top mileage counter back to zero after MOT on 26th June, it is showing I have done 3200 miles already the furthest I have done is to Perth which is 28 miles return journeys. If I were doing that daily 1036 miles which I don't some days I only do 6 miles per day. It's clocking up more than double the miles I do, someone told me that it's possible to get the true miles as it's not just the odometer that stores the miles, is this True?

someone not changed it to kms only idea as 50 miles is about 80 KMS you can get the odo to display in kms it is setting in the handbook.

also on perth journey 2000 miles is 3200kms

Edited by FRONTERATECH

3 hours ago, FRONTERATECH said:

someone not changed it to kms only idea as 50 miles is about 80 KMS you can get the odo to display in kms it is setting in the handbook.

also on perth journey 2000 miles is 3200kms

Awh never thought about that, that would certainly makes sense, I thought it was miles it might well be kms, I will get my son to check that out tomorrow as car in lock up for the night. It that's so I might have to inform DVLA  as the garage has miles on the MOT. Thank you very much for that I appreciate this information.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:30 PM, Isla said:

Awh never thought about that, that would certainly makes sense, I thought it was miles it might well be kms, I will get my son to check that out tomorrow as car in lock up for the night. It that's so I might have to inform DVLA  as the garage has miles on the MOT. Thank you very much for that I appreciate this information.

did it work you back to Miles not kilometres

On 8/4/2024 at 10:11 PM, FRONTERATECH said:

suggest it might be fault could have been clocked or mileage adjusted at some time. worth getting help from vauxhall dealer

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all your correspondence, I checked for miles or Kilometres, you were correct it was Kilometers, went back to garage and said to them as they put kilometre reading in miles on the MOT, they reset it to miles and now are going to inform DVLA about the error, I also am going to write to DVLA as it's on my MOT I'd done 34000 miles more than I had, was convinced the odometer was faulty, what an idiot I feel, now back to miles now, Thank you so much for your help much appreciated.

• Like 2